Thursday, March 26, 2015

Top 10 Movie Fantasy Worlds



In my blog post for today, I want to look at my favorite top 10 movie worlds. A movie world is any setting that is a work of fiction. For example, Gotham City is not real, so it would count, whereas New York City in I am Legend would not count, since it is just New York City. I am only choosing from movies I have seen, so if your favorite setting is not listed, feel free to comment below. Again, there might be some spoilers ahead.

10. Alice and Wonderland- Wonderland
This could be related to drugs!
To begin this top 10, I chose a place that is number one in my girlfriend’s book, Wonderland. It is full of the impossible and it seems to mirror the effects of hallucinogenic drugs. The people are crazy in wonderland, but crazy is ordinary there. This would be higher if it were not for the next 9 entries, which have all have impacted me in some way.

9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- Willie Wonka’s Chocolate Factory
So much candy!
I was a huge fan of the book, so I was super excited to see the movie when I was little. The Gene Wilder version of the book hit the spot for me. It was filled with all the goodies I could imagine along with the craziness that is Willie Wonka. There were chocolate rivers, bubbles that made you fly and crazy machines that made any flavor candy that you could want. What more could a kid ask for?

8. Peter Pan- Neverland
You won't grow up either!
If you never want to grow up, come on down to Neverland. It’s a place where the lost boys roam, pirates sail the seas and Peter Pan and Tinkerbell fly around. It’s a great place for a child to keep their imagination fresh and they can have fun all day and have no responsibility.

7. The Wizard of Oz- Oz
Just follow the yellow brick road!
Just follow the yellow brick road to get to the Emerald City. I still remember watching this movie with my Mom and singing along. But Oz being created in the 1939, it still has that magical connection with its audience. Who wouldn’t want to travel to Oz and follow the yellow brick road?

6. The Chronicles of Narnia- Narnia
This is the cold part of Narnia!
I used to be a huge Chronicles of Narnia fan when I was little. Seeing the world brought to life was just amazing. Ironically, this was filmed in New Zealand. This won’t be the last time you see a movie filmed in New Zealand on this list. But the movies did a great job showing the harsh winters and the white palace along with the beautiful paradises.

5. Big Hero 6- San Fransokyo
You can't tell if its San Fransisco or Tokyo!
This futuristic mash-up of San Francisco and Tokyo created a vibrant and flashy city. This city is full of science and it made me want to learn more about technology. Robots are common thing and underground robot fighting is a thing. I really enjoyed seeing a city that combined two real life cultures into one.

4. Dark Knight Trilogy- Gotham
Cool city, I just don't want to live there
The most dangerous city in the world attracts the most dangerous people. This is a city with its own royalty, in the sense of everyone knows them, in the Wayne family. But the setting brings a lot of despair in a gloomy city. Since not everyone is the Wayne family, crime runs rampant and supervillains such as the Joker are created do to the economic disparity.

3. Avatar- Pandora
Better hope you can fly!
This was one of the biggest blockbuster and the first imax 3D movie that I saw. Pandora has a wealth of different creatures and has a land scape that looks like it came straight out of my imagination. There are floating islands, upside down waterfalls and trees that are bigger than mountains. It is a perfect fantasy world.

2. Lord of the Rings Series- Middle Earth
One of the safer places to live!
I personally believe that New Zealand receives most of its tourist from Lord of the Rings. It has such a beautiful setting that I want to visit Middle Earth. It is filled with so much color at certain areas, then in others it is devoid of color, but it’s to represent the evil soaking the land. Middle Earth is filled with many different races and creatures that again just makes it all the more beautiful.

1. Harry Potter Series- Hogwarts
If only I went to school here!
As an avid reader of the series, seeing Hogwarts brought to life just blew my mind. It is amazing and it is everything I ever dreamed of it to be. I personally believe without Hogwarts, Harry Potter would not be as good. It’s a school with adventure in it. There are so many mysteries about the school that makes it my favorite movie setting of all time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tyler!
    First of all, I love the idea for this blog.
    Second, this particular post makes me smile. So many great films and series represented here! I wouldn’t have thought to focus on their locations/fantasy worlds, but it makes me want to go back and watch them again just to pay special attention to their awesome settings. Great post!
    Also, not sure if you’re a war movie person, but if you are, I’d love to see a post on top 10 war movies… =D
    -Abby Messinger

    ReplyDelete